lsmcode -A displays microcode (same as firmware) level information for all supported devices
(Firmware: Software that has been written onto read-only memory (ROM))
lsmcode -c shows firmware level for system, processor
it helps to show which firmware (microcode) should be updated:
1. download: http://public.dhe.ibm.com/software/server/firmware/catalog.mic
2. copy on the server to: /var/adm/invscout/microcode
3. run: invscout (it will collect data and creates: /var/adm/invscout/<hostname>.mup)
4. upload <hostanme>.mup to: http://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/set2/mds/fetch?page=mdsUpload.html
SYSTEM FIRMWARE UPDATE:
(update is concurrent, upgrade is disruptive)
1. download from FLRT the files
2. copy to NIM server (NFS export) the files or put onto an FTP server (xml and rpm was in it for me)
3. makes sure there are no deconfigured cpu/ram in the server, or broken hardware devices
4. On HMC -> LIC (Licensed Internal Code) Maintenance -> LIC Updates -> Channge LIC for the current release
(if you want to do an upgrade (not update) choose: Upgrade Licensed Internal Code)
5. Choose the machine -> Channge LIC (Licensed Internal Code) wizard
6. FTP site:
User ID: root
Passw: <root pw>
Change Directory: set to the uploaded dir
7. follow the wizard (next, next..), about after 20-30 minutes will be done
“The repository does not contain any applicable upgrade updates HSCF0050” or …“The selected repository does not contain any new updates.”
It can happen if ftp user was not created by official AIX script: /usr/samples/tcpip/anon.ftp
Create ftp user with this and try again.
ADAPTER FIRMWARE LEVEL:
For FC adapter:
root@aix1: /root # lscfg -vpl fcs0
fcs0 P2-I2 FC Adapter
Customer Card ID Number…..2765 <–it shows the feature code (could be like this: Feature Code/Marketing ID…5704)
FRU Number………………09P5080 <–identifies the adapter
ROS Level and ID…………02C039D0
Device Specific.(Z9)……..CS3.93A0 <–this is the same as ZB
Device Specific.(ZB)……..C2D3.93A0 <–to verify the firmware level ignore the first 3 characters in the ZB field (3.93A0)
Hardware Location Code……P2-I2
For Network adapter:
lscfg -vpl entX –> FRU line
ROM Level.(alterable)…….GOL021 <–it is showing the firmware level
For Internal Disks:
lscfg -vpl hdiskX
Machine Type and Model……HUS153014VLS300
Firmware (Microcode) update should be started from FLRT (Fix Level Recommendatio Tool).
After selecting the system, it will be possible to choose devices to do an update, and read description, how to do it.
Check with Google the “FRU Number” to get the FC Code (this is needed to get the correct files on FLRT)
Basic steps for firmware upgrade:
0. check if /etc/microcode dir exists
1. download from FLRT to a temp dir the needed rpm package.
2. make the rpm package available to the system:
cd to the copied temp dir
rpm -ihv –ignoreos –force SAS15K300-A428-AIX.rpm
cd /etc/microcode –> ls -l will show the new microcede
compare filesize within the document
compare checksum within document: sum <filename> (sum /usr/lib/microcode/df1000fd-0002.271304)
4. diag -d fcs0 -T download <–it will install (download) the microcode
Description about: “M”, “L”, “C”, “P” when choosing the microcode:
“M” is the most recent level of microcode found on the source.
It is later than the level of microcode currently installed on the adapter.
“L” identifies levels of microcode that are later than the level of microcode currently installed on the adapter.
Multiple later images are listed in descending order.
“C” identifies the level of microcode currently installed on the adapter.
“P” identifies levels of microcode that are previous to the level of microcode currently installed on the adapter.
Multiple previous images are listed in the descending order.
5. lsmcode -A <–for checking
To Back level the firmware
diag -d fcsX -T “download -f -l previous”